Friday, 24 February 2017

Six Ways to Use Thyme

Thyme is a easily gown perennial which will thrive in a sunny spot with good drainage.


1. Infused Vinegar


Place a few sprigs of thyme in a glass bottle. Fill the bottle with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Cap the bottle, then store in a cool, dark place for 6-8 weeks. The vinegar can be used as a base for salad dressing.

2. Hair Loss and Dandruff


I haven't needed to try this one. To make a scalp treatment which is said to stimulate hair growth steep one generous handful of fresh thyme in a litre of boiling water for 15-20 minutes. Strain and cool. Massage into the scalp daily.

To help relieve dandruff symptoms steep one small handful each of fresh thyme and fresh rosemary in a litre of boiling water for 15-20  minutes. Use as above.

3. Digestion


Thyme is said to help the body digest fatty foods. Add a few sprigs of thyme to the roasting pan or casserole dish when cooking fatty meat.

4. In the Garden


Thyme will bring bees into the garden, but will also help to deter moths and some flying insects.

5.  Mouthwash


When making toothpaste or mouthwash at home add a few drops of thyme (thymus vulgaris) essential oil. Thyme is antiseptic and is an ingredient in some commercially produced mouth washes.

6. Cinnamon Thyme Sore Throat Tea


Place 2 teaspoons of dried thyme and one cinnamon stick into a small teapot. Pour 2 cups of boiling water into the pot to cover the herbs. Allow to steep for 6-8 minutes (you can adjust the steeping time depending on how strong you like your tea).

Pour into a tea cup or mug through a strainer. Sweeten to taste with honey.

Makes 2 cups. Drinking two or 3 cups a day may help to relieve cold symptoms.







You may also like:

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing - I love the idea of adding it to the roast veges to assist our digestive systems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew thyme last year for the first time and you've just inspired me to try again this year! It does smell so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the perfume of Thyme especially when combining with chicken. Thanks for sharing with us at #OvertheMoon Link party. I've pinned and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have boiled it for a sore throat and I swear it worked like magic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow such an interesting post!Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Have a great week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try that tea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your suggestions. I will try the thyme/cinnamon tea. I like to add thyme to the cavity in a chicken when I am roasting it (along with a couple cloves of garlic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I try the garlic and thyme combo next time I roast a chicken.

      Delete
  8. I'm going to try making some infused vinegar! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love herbs. I never know what to do with Thyme. This was a great infromative post.
    This post is perfect to share on the Fabulous Welcome Spring/Easter party over here:
    http://ourholidayjourney.blogspot.com/2017/02/fabulous-welcome-spring-link-party.html
    I hope you'll come over and join the party!
    Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to try the sore throat tea. I'm always looking for a natural way to ease a sore throat. Thank you for sharing at Link It Up Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew of the benefits of thyme...I just knew it tasted great with chicken! Thanks for sharing on Waste Less Wednesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had some thyme to make some cinnamon thyme tea for my throat right now!

    Thank you for linking up at #bloggerspotlight this week

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not know many of them. Great ideas. Thank you for sharing with us at #HomeMattersParty . We would love to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use thyme for cooking but now know lots more ways I can use it - thank you. I will tell hubby and older son about using it for dandruff control as both do rather suffer from that #WasteLessWednesday

    ReplyDelete
  15. We use thyme extensively in the Greek cuisine. In roast pots of food it is always added and the smell infuses the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smell of thyme. We have it growing by the back door and I always rub some in my fingers on the way past.

      Delete