Rosewater smells gorgeous and has many uses including skincare, as a linen spray, in soap making and cooking. Plus it can be quite easy to make at home.
To make rose water you need:
- 3 cups of rose petals (choose fragrant petals that insect and spray free)
- 3 cups of distilled or purified water
- 1 teaspoon vodka (acts as a preservative)
- 700ml glass bottle or jar
Place the rose petals in a non-metallic bowl with a tiny pinch of salt. Bring the water almost to the boil (but not actually boiling), then pour over the rose petals. Leave the petals to steep for about an hour until the petals have lost their colour and become translucent. Strain the rose water through cheesecloth and decant into a sterilised bottle.
Stored in the refrigerator the rose water will keep for up to 4 months.
Rose Water Toner
- 100 mls rose water
- 1 drop chamomile essential oil
- 1 drop rose geranium essential oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
Combine all ingredients in a small glass bottle and shake well. Apply with a cotton pad avoiding the eyes. Will keep up to 10 days in the fridge.