Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Seven ways to use Chamomile

Chamomile is an easy to grow annual spring-flowering herb which self seeds readily. It does best grown in a part-shaded, well-drained spot .

1. Composting


Chamomile can help activate the composting process. Add chamomile to your your compost bin or pile to get things going.

2. Dark Circles


After being used to make tea chamomile tea bags can have a second life. Cooled, but still wet tea bags placed over your eyes can help to reduce dark shadows and soothe tired eyes. The used tea bags can then be added to the compost.

3. Companion Planting


Chamomile is an excellent companion plant. Sometimes referred as the "plant doctor" when planted next to a struggling plant it can help to revive that plant. It is said to improve the flavour of mint, onions and cabbages, but is best planted a good metre away from onions.


4. Chamomile Tea 


To make this you will need boiling water, teaspoon each of dried chamomile and dried lavender buds, a tea strainer and a tea cup.

Place the chamomile and lavender in the tea strainer and sit it on top of the cup. Pour in enough boiling water that the herbs are covered. Allow to infuse for about 10 minutes. By this time the tea is a drinkable temperature. Add lemon juice or honey to taste.

5. Hair


Steep one handful of chamomile flowers in a litre of boiling water for twenty minutes. When cooled this infusion can be used as a rinse to lighten and condition fair hair. Stored in the fridge this will keep for about two weeks.


6. Sunburn


A chamomile infusion made exactly the same way as above can be added to bath water to ease the effects of sunburn.


7. Chamomile tea for the garden


Place a handful of chamomile flowers in a bucket. Cover with cold water (about 2 litres) and leave to soak for 2 days. Strain out the flowers. The resulting liquid can be used to revive tired looking or struggling plants. It can be applied with a spray bottle or water the soil around the base of the plant sparingly.






I link up here

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow I didn't know this, adding chamomile to my list at the garden center. Thanks for sharing this information! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Alba,
    Good article. I also use Chamomile tea bags to soothe itchy eyes from allergies. I just make the tea using 2 tea bags and then put the tea bags in your freezer for about 15 minutes, then lay one tea bag over each eye for about 10 minutes. It works better than anything else I have tried. Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I usually the cool tea bags in the fridge, but I'll definitely be trying the freezer - sounds very soothing for my itchy hayfever eyes!

      Delete
  3. I never knew it was good for composting! That is good to know. Thank you so much for linking at #overthemoon! I look forward to seeing what you share very week. Please come back for #WonderfulWednesday. Don't forget to comment your link #'s so I can be sure to visit. Pinned and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alba. I'm thrilled to meet you. You are a woman after my own heart. These are great tips on using Chamomile, one of my favorites. I'd love you to come and link with me on Fridays at Five Star Frou-Frou at A Tray of Bliss. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out my recipe this week for making chamomile liqueur. I love the smell of the flowers. -- Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tried making liqueur - off to check it out :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the great list of uses for Chamomile.
    It's not just about tea.
    I love the flower too!
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the uses for chamomile! Last year I grew my first chamomile and loved having it as tea. I also used it to spray on my seedling to help keep them from damping off.
    I hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big tea drinker, but chamomile is a favourite. Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  8. Great list! We buy chamomile by the gallons over here! Thank you for sharing with us at the Art of Home-Making Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who knew chamomile had so many interesting uses. And to think I only knew it as tea! Thanks for linking up with Funtastic Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Thanks for sharing it with us. I picked it as my featured post for Wonderful Wednesday which will be available to see on Tuesday. Hope you swing on over to see it & participate in our link up again.
    Sarah-Ann @ Living Intentionally Simple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah - much appreciated. :)

      Delete
  11. Great article! Chamomile offers so many benefits. Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have really expanded my awareness of uses for this herb. We're so glad you shared these valuable and enlightening ways to use Chamomile at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea that it would help with composting or in the garden! Thanks for sharing on the Waste Less Wednesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete